Thursday 10 June 2010

And I saw that The Idea was Good.

Stunningly, the first person I showed this through didn’t tell me I was mad. Nor did she laugh, ruffle my hair and walk off. Which happens from time to time.

Instead, she started asking practical questions. “Can you see all the teams?” "Where are you going to start?” “How will you pick who to watch?" “Have you set up the blog yet?” “Shouldn’t you have thought of this earlier than the night before it kicked off?”

To which my answers were calm, considered and inconclusive.

It does seem a bit late to be attempting this, but what the hell. Not as late as if I'd thought it up on my sofa at the end of the night tomorrow. This evening I've been able to get the ball rolling (snarf) by setting up the blog.

(Okay, okay, I promise there won't be too many puns. Just one or two, from time to time. That one was the girlfriend's, so technically doesn't count against me.)

The task is made easier - indeed, the idea was prompted by - today's
Evening Standard article on where to watch the games. I'll start with the aim of ticking them all off.

But I want to follow my nose too. By chance, a friend I hadn't spoken to in months messaged me tonight on Facebook, so it's off to The Victoria in Dalston for one of the Cameroon games!

But first things first. I need to choose between Uruguay and France. Which of these two is most likely to crash out at the group stages? I need to cover the minnows early in the tournament to make sure I don't miss anyone. So who do I pick here? France, I know to be cheating shysters who only got to South Africa by the skins of their teeth, but about Uruguay, I know nothing.

Which is it to be for Bar #1 of 32?

1 comment:

  1. Paddy,
    You know I love you right? but blaming bad jokes on the girlfriend is never a good idea (specially when she's one of my best friends and I could snap you in half).

    So, great idea, I'm in...

    ReplyDelete