Tuesday 15 June 2010

#4 Ghana!

Sunday 13th June – 3pm So, what's your favourite African country? I make it to The Gold Coast, Brixton, just a couple of minutes before kick-off. Judging by the queue at the door, they’re squeezing the last few people in. This turns out to be only half true. We’re definitely squeezed to get in, but they jam plenty more in afterwards.

Despite the crush, the game is an absolute riot to watch. Ghanian flags are distributed at the door and there are zuzuvelas and whistles aplenty.





One crowd of late arrivers spend the game singing and dancing. Cunningly avoiding the crush next to the bar probably means they sweat a little bit less than I do, which I can’t help feeling is against the spirit of things.

The ridiculous thing is that, an hour into the game, I consider myself pretty much all Ghanian. Wait, that’s me punching the air when Ghana get a penalty! The vibe is utterly infectious. The party that breaks out after Ghana’s goal just carries on after the final whistle, spilling onto the street.




The traffic is brought almost to a halt for a good half hour or more. Luckily, plenty of drivers are banging their horns with passengers hanging out of the windows, so nobody seems that bothered. One bus which pauses too long has its window-wipers adorned with the flag.







Mid-party, I get talking to a good group of fans, including Wadie, who has donned his girlfriend’s Ghana tracksuit top. He’s an... um... ardent admirer of the Ghanian ladyfolk. “Those white girls just don’t have enough junk in the trunk!”


So, it's Ghana one, rest of world nil. Best atmosphere yet, bar none. If I can I'll be back at The Gold Coast next weekend - only this time, getting in early to get some space!

*I have a stack more photos (as usual) - will try to get a Flickr or Picasa account set up when I have some time, if anyone's interested... any thoughts on what's best?


1 comment:

  1. We loooove GHANA!!!! specially the Ghanians xxx Good work Paddy, I'm liking this a lot!

    ReplyDelete