Sunday 4 July 2010

#13 - Cameroon Get Unlucky

Saturday 19 June 7.30pm The evening that I dreamt up My World Cup Overfloweth, an old colleague and friend – who I hadn't heard from in over a year – messaged me on Facebook. I explained my plan and, seeing as she's the only Cameroonian I know, we agreed to meet for one of their games at a Dalston pub owned by her uncle.

So, come Saturday afternoon, I give Frances a bell to check if she's still up for the game. She laughs that she's nowhere near Dalston and won't be getting back there any time soon. Oh, good. I'm on my own. Again.

Still, there can be no excuses, so I head down to The Victoria on Queensbridge Road. It's by no means rammed, with the crowd split between the bar's main room and a back room with a large screen. I chat to a few of the guys. Dereck, who lived in Italy for a while before coming to the UK, tells me he's studying an MBA.


Sam, who's working at the bar, quite fancies having her photo taken if I'll email it to her. This seems like a fair deal, and besides, I don't often to get to photograph anything quite as awesomely colourful as her dress.


The screen in the back room cuts out early in the second half so we pile into the bar, huddled round a living-room size screen, to watch the remainder of the game. Having taken an early lead, Cameroon are guilty of squandering later chances. With Denmark back in the lead, it gets increasingly tense as Cameroon try desperately to find a way back into the match.


It ultimately ends in frustration as Cameroon become the first team to be dumped out of the tournament. Nothing against Denmark, but I rather wish the result had gone the other way. Game #13 for me - unlucky, Cameroon!


No comments:

Post a Comment